Rediscover the unspoilt villages and hill-top villages, our magnificent natural territory, along with their forgotten heritage, the Adhémar castle, the castles of the Drôme and Montélimar's museums, follow the guide...
Six thousand years ago, a village grew at Gournier. The area was part of the Provincia Romana in 117 BC . At the beginning of the first century Agrippa established the axe Lyon -Arles and a stopping place was set up at Acunum (Aygu).
THE SEIGNEURS ADHEMAR DE MONTEIL
As part of the Burgundy-Provence kingdom,the Montelimar area became part of the Holy Roman Empire in 1032. The Benedictines of L'Isle Barbe lès Lyon possessed 11 churches here. This was the time of the rise of the Adhemar de Monteil family, who built a huge residence and gave its name to the town.
In 1198 the montilians obtained a charter of liberty. In 1449 Montelimar was annexed to the Dauphiné by the dauphin, future king Louis XI. The church of Sainte Croix (the Holy Cross) was rebuilt and became a collegiate church.
During the wars of religion, the town was besieged several times. Lesdiguières had the citadel built, which now overlooks the town.
THE NATIONALE 7
The bridge over the Roubion, destroyed at the end of the XIVth century was only rebuilt in 1806. The former Comtat road became the National 7 road.
OPENING AND NOUGAT
In the XIXth century, the ramparts were pulled down, the town spread, the public gardens were laid out and the railway came to Montelimar in 1854. The bastions were replaced by a wide promenade, the Town Hall and law courts were built. Emile Loubet, mayor of Montelimar was elected President of the Republic in 1899. The nougat industry flourished and contributed to the renown of the town.
Le XX siècle est marqué par les conflits mondiaux, le 28 août 1944, Montélimar est libérée par l'action conjointe de la Résistance et des Alliés. Une ère nouvelle commence avec le développement des transports, autoroute A7, canal latéral au Rhône, TGV et de l'énergie hydroélectrique et nucléaire.